In the event that something goes wrong, we are here to help, with a team of claims specialists to support you throughout the process and get you back on track as soon as possible. You can submit a claim to us when it suits you 24/7 through our on-line claims lodgement.

Claims FAQ

• What do I do if I need to make a claim?
Take all reasonable precautions to prevent further loss, damage or liability. Contact the police as soon as possible to report any theft or attempted theft, or damage caused by intentional acts, riots or vehicle impact. Contact us on 1800 355 559 and advise the Claims Consultant of what has happened: The Claims Consultant will help you through the landlord insurance claims process.
• Do I have to complete a landlord insurance claim form?
Yes, There are three options available:
  • Lodge the claim online, and attach supporting documents(PDF) as requested.
  • Download and complete the relevant Claim Form here.
  • Contact SGUA claims team and request that a claim form be emailed to you. Email the completed claim form and requested supporting documents to SGUA.
• What happens after my claim has been submitted?
  • A member of the claims team will contact you as quickly as possible about your claim.
  • For many claims we will check the circumstances and damage before we authorise and pay for repairs.
  • We may appoint a loss adjuster or investigator or contact you for more information.
• Can I arrange repairs/replacement before I make my claim?
If you are insured and are claiming for Deliberate Damage, please contact us to discuss the damage before starting repairs. If we want to collect some information about the damage, we will ask you to hold off repairs until this is done and we will pay for any rent loss arising from the additional time taken.
• How quickly will my claim be paid?
We will pay a claim as soon as it is clear what is to be paid. If you have submitted all the information we require, under normal circumstances, your claim will be processed in under five working days. On request, we can provide interim payments where we have sufficient information to justify the amount.
• What can I do to ensure I get the most back from my claim?
Rent Default: Both Residential Tenancies Acts and insurance law require that the owner/agent take steps to minimise the loss. In part, this means that the owner/agent needs to pursue breaches as fast as the law allows. If they don't, the amount lost may be deemed to be increased by the irretrievable time lost as a result of not doing it. There is a danger of this lost time not being included in the claim settlement. We allow a reasonable time to issue notices.
Damages: You can avoid compromising the claim settlement, by commencing any necessary clean up as soon as you can. You should also complete the repairs in a reasonable time frame. Unnecessary delays caused by working weekends only (for example) and the like may prejudice your rent claim.
Re-letting: You should start the process of advertising for a new tenant immediately the premises is fit for viewing. This does not necessarily mean when the repairs are complete. Sometimes, a property can be acceptable to a tenant if they can see that repairs are being done and will be complete when they move in.
• Are drug/meth lab clean-ups covered?
Yes, we take the view that this is Deliberate Damage by the tenant and is covered if you have selected Tenant Damage covers on your policy.
• Does the policy cover Tenants on a periodic tenancy?
Yes, under a periodic tenancy, we pay the owner the rent they are legally entitled to if the tenant had given property notice as per state legislation.
• What types of Tenant Damage are covered?
Depending on which sections of cover you have included in your policy the following types of damage are covered:
  • Malicious damage is defined as acts which are motivated by spite, malice or vindictiveness with the intention of causing damage, such as holes kicked/ punched in walls and doors.
  • Deliberate Damage is much wider than malicious damage. The test we apply is that if the intentional actions (not omissions) of a tenant would, if viewed by a reasonable person, be considered to lead to damage or alter the original state of the property then the damage is deliberate. A good example of this is where a tenant has painted walls without the Owner's permission.
  • Accidental Damage is defined as sudden and unexpected or unintentional loss or damage such as a red wine spill to the carpet.
The policy is not designed to cover damage arising out of poor housekeeping or unhygienic living habits. We recommend that regular inspections are carried out in order to identify and rectify any of these issues prior to them becoming a problem.
• Do I need a Court / Tribunal Order / Police Report to make a claim?
For most standard Tenant Default and damage claims you are not required to obtain an order or a police report. The two exceptions are for Tenant Hardship, where you will need to provide proof that the Court/ Tribunal have ended the tenancy and Theft by Tenant claims require you to report the matter to the Police.
• Am I covered if I can’t find a tenant?
Under our Tenant's Default section, rent loss arising from the failure of a tenant to honor a lease agreement is covered. However, rent for the normal period of unoccupancy which occurs between tenancies and which does not involve breach of a lease is not covered.
• How does the bond affect the claim?
We don't deduct the bond from our claim. However, for tenancy matters, if the bond is not used up on legitimate non-insurance related matters, then the remainder of the bond is entitled to be kept by the owner to cover Deliberate Damage and Tenants Default losses. This means that the amount the owner needs to claim from us is reduced by the remaining amount.
• What should I do if someone makes a landlord insurance claim against me?
Call us as soon as possible on 1800 355 559 and advise the Claims Consultant of what has occurred. Try to get names and addresses of witnesses, if any, to the event which has brought about the claim. Don't make any admissions of liability and don't attempt to settle any claim made against you. The Claims Consultant will advise you of what steps you need to take and will assist you through the landlord insurance claim process.
• What if I have a dispute with the claim process and/or claim settlement?
If you are not satisfied with the way your claim is progressing, or wish to dispute a decision or outcome of the claim, we have a simple dispute resolution process in place.

Step 1: Talk to us
Please advise the Claims Consultant at SGUA on 1800 355 559 if you are dissatisfied with:
  • our decision on your claim.
  • our handling of your claim.
  • the services of the appointed loss adjuster or investigator.
The staff member will try to resolve the problem. If unable to resolve it, the staff member will refer it to the claims manager for attention. A decision concerning your complaint will be made within 15 business days of receipt.

Step 2: Internal Review
If you feel your case is unresolved, you may request that the problem be referred to the internal dispute resolution committee at the Hollard Insurance Company Pty Ltd. They will investigate the dispute and try to reach a satisfactory outcome with you, normally within 45 business days of the date you requested a referral.

Step 3: External Review
If you do not accept the outcome of the Internal Dispute Resolution Committee, you may take the problem to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS), for an independent investigation.

How to contact FOS (if lodged before the 1st November)
How to contact AFCA (if lodged on or after the 1st November)

• What is Rent Arrears?
If you have not paid rent by its due date, you are in rent arrears. This is a breach of the tenancy agreement. Rent is required to be paid on time and kept in advance, as detailed in the tenancy agreement.
• Apart from Non-payment of rent, what are examples that my tenant is engaging in behaviour that may result in a breach of the lease conditions?
  • Damage to the property.
  • Noise complaints.
  • Unsatisfactory routine inspections.
  • Keeping a pet without permission.
  • More tenants in the property than stated on the agreement.
  • Failing to pay Utility bills; Water Consumption.